(Palm-Print
Photo by Edward F. Palm)

About Me

My photo
Forest, Virginia, United States
A long time ago, my sophomore English teacher, Father William Campbell, saw something in my writing and predicted that I would someday become a newspaper columnist. He suggested the perfect title for my column--"Leaves of the Palm." Now that I have a little extra time on my hands I've decided to put Father Campbell's prediction to the test. I'm going to start using this blog site not just to reprint opinion pieces I've published elsewhere but to try to get more of my ideas and opinions out there. Feedback is welcome. To find out more about me, please check out my Web site: www.EdwardFPalm.com (Click on any of the photos below for an enlarged view.)

Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Demise of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"?


(On the "Iwo Jima," in the Caribbean, spring, 1968, Ed Palm photo)
Just a quick note:  I have accepted a position as a full-time online English prof with Strayer University, and it starts tomorrow.  In the words of the poet, "But at my back I always hear time's winged chariot hurrying near."
      I was heartened to hear Obama reaffirm his pledge to end the current "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy and to allow gays to serve openly in the military.  Over the years, I have had occasion to tell academic hiring committees--some members of which expected me to conform to their stereotypical notions of the military--that I have seen far more boy-girl problems threaten "good order and discipline" than I have seen problems caused by gays.  Whether gay or straight, we all have an obligation to keep our sex lives private and out of the workplace.  If soldiers, sailors, and Marines keep that in mind, there will be no problem integrating gays into the ranks.
     In 2007, I was privileged to make this point, in my own inimitable way, the pages of the late Seattle Post-Intelligencer:  The title to this entry,above, is a link to my P.I. piece.  --EFP

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ed,
I don't hold any animosities against gays. As a matter of fact one cuts my hair and I enjoy our conversation. But, I could never, NEVER feel comfortable taking a shower with one in the near proximity of me. Imagine sharing our space at Pappa 3 with one. On the other hand, it might be pleasant to share these situations with a female.
rpboogie