(Palm-Print
Photo by Edward F. Palm)

About Me

My photo
Forest, Virginia, United States
A long time ago, my sophomore English teacher, Father William Campbell, saw something in my writing and predicted that I would someday become a newspaper columnist. He suggested the perfect title for my column--"Leaves of the Palm." Now that I have a little extra time on my hands I've decided to put Father Campbell's prediction to the test. I'm going to start using this blog site not just to reprint opinion pieces I've published elsewhere but to try to get more of my ideas and opinions out there. Feedback is welcome. To find out more about me, please check out my Web site: www.EdwardFPalm.com (Click on any of the photos below for an enlarged view.)

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The U.S. Postal Service Revisited

Back in early January, I posted this comment by my friend and former Papa Three colleague Larry Scroggs:

Thanks for your Christmas card which I received today. I notice it was postmarked 12/19. It only took 11 days to get here from Washington. Coincidentally, the same time it took the Pony Express to ride from Missouri to California in 1860. Don't you just love the progress the United States Postal Service has made in the last 150 years. I can hardly wait until the government takes over our health care. Thinking about it just gives me the warm fuzzies all over. (grin)
Semper Fi
 Larry
     Today, I can go Larry one better.  The photo is of a Christmas gift mailed from Portland, Oregon, on December 26th.  It was sent "First Class."  Portland is about 150 miles from my home in Bremerton, Washington.  The gift arrived today--February 9, 2010.  Note that it was not returned and forwarded from an erroneous address.  It has somehow been in transit for 45 days.
      Also, it arrived with two letter-sized first-class mailings, dated December 28th.--only 43 days ago.    
      You do have a point, Larry.   --EFP

No comments: