(Palm-Print
Photo by Edward F. Palm)

About Me

My photo
Forest, Virginia, United States
A long time ago, my sophomore English teacher, Father William Campbell, saw something in my writing and predicted that I would someday become a newspaper columnist. He suggested the perfect title for my column--"Leaves of the Palm." Now that I have a little extra time on my hands I've decided to put Father Campbell's prediction to the test. I'm going to start using this blog site not just to reprint opinion pieces I've published elsewhere but to try to get more of my ideas and opinions out there. Feedback is welcome. To find out more about me, please check out my Web site: www.EdwardFPalm.com (Click on any of the photos below for an enlarged view.)

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Palm the Patriot

{Patriotic Cadillac, Smyrna, DE, December, 2001]
On CNN today, I caught a little snippet of Sarah Palin giving her "Keep the Change" speech.  I have to give her speech writer credit for a cute turn of phrase.  It is an ironic allusion to President Obama's promise to transform America.  Palin was telling the crowd that Obama can "keep the change" because the "transformation" that he envisions is "un-American."   Tell Obama "no thanks," Palin urged, adding, "We'll keep our guns, our religion, and our Constitution."  
       I suppose that, according to Palin's criteria, I'm un-American.  Never mind that I'm a former enlisted Marine, a Vietnam veteran, and a retired Marine officer.  The problem is that I don't own a gun, I'm a secular humanist, and I believe that the Constitution is a living document that can and should be modified from time to time.
       I wonder if Palin can even spell, much less define, "demagogue"?  --EFP
P.S.  Palm's Progress:  I weighed in today at 185.2, and I ran 3.1 miles out of 4.22.  Yesterday, I took it a bit easy, running only 1.2 out of 3.5.  By this time next week, I should be running one day and bicycling the next.  That would be a welcome change of pace.  Pardon the pun.  --EFP

No comments: