(Palm-Print
Photo by Edward F. Palm)

About Me

My photo
Forest, Virginia, United States
A long time ago, my sophomore English teacher, Father William Campbell, saw something in my writing and predicted that I would someday become a newspaper columnist. He suggested the perfect title for my column--"Leaves of the Palm." Now that I have a little extra time on my hands I've decided to put Father Campbell's prediction to the test. I'm going to start using this blog site not just to reprint opinion pieces I've published elsewhere but to try to get more of my ideas and opinions out there. Feedback is welcome. To find out more about me, please check out my Web site: www.EdwardFPalm.com (Click on any of the photos below for an enlarged view.)

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Palm's Progress/The Wrong Side of History--Again!

[One expression of hate speech that I can support:  Pike Place Market, Seattle, Jan. 24, 2009.}
Weighed in today--Easter Sunday--at 182.6.  I couldn't run on Friday; we were in the midst of a bad Pacific storm.  But I ran yesterday--3.1 miles, covering 6.7 in all.
       The big news yesterday was that a Florida urologist posted a sign on his front door telling Obama supporters to seek their medical treatment elsewhere.  In all fairness, he claims he would never refuse medical treatment to an Obama supporter; he would just prefer not to treat such people.  Still, for me at least, the sign itself carries a disturbing historical resonance.  It reminds me of the photos I've seen of intimidating signs posted on the windows of Jewish shops in Hitler's Germany.  These signs virtually commanded German citizens not to buy from Jewish merchants.
       I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it's not Obama and his supporters who are on the wrong side of history.
        This being Easter, I'll step out of character and indulge in a prayer of sorts:  God save us from the people who think they're saving the country.  --EFP

No comments: